Trail Butter Pad Thai? Yes please. We've heard some great recipes from thru hikers who added Trail Butter to their savory dinners out on the trail in an effort to beef up (butter up?!) their calorie consumption and add a complexity of flavors to their trailside cuisine.
Trail Butter Pro, Heather 'Anish' Anderson, is no stranger to making meals under an open sky - this one, however, comes to you straight from her kitchen. A Trail Butter twist on Pad Thai that sounds super tasty. Give it a go and let us know what you think!
1 Big Squeeze Pack of Maple Syrup and Sea Salt Trail Butter (you can use an equal number of lil squeezes or jarred versions as well)
1 Tablespoon each of Molasses, Chili Garlic Sauce, and Lime Juice (adjust amounts to taste)
¼ Cup Braggs Liquid Aminos
Garlic and Ginger (fresh or powder to taste)
1 Zucchini shaved into “zoodles”
2 Carrots shaved into strips
1 package of frozen cauliflower florets
1 package of high protein extra firm tofu drained and cubed
2-4 ounces of rice noodles soaked for 15 minutes, drained, and cooked.
Garnishes (optional):Green onions (chopped)
Fresh Basil Leaves
Gather Nuts Turmeric Curry Cashews
1 Tablespoon of Lime Juice
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a dish until well blended and set aside. This can be thinned with water if needed.
- Heat a large pot or wok with a little bit of coconut oil on medium. Add the tofu and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and carrot and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally until the cauliflower is warmed through and the carrots have softened.
- Add the Zucchini and pour sauce over top. Stir gently to combine until everything is coated.
- Add your garnishes and serve over rice noodles.
Serves 2 hungry ultrarunners or 4 not so hungry people. 😊